Sunday, March 7, 2010

unemployment more

Another reason unemployment sucks... the cronic rejection of applying for jobs or even worse is the even more prevelant the feeling of being ignored completely. There is no more going and meeting a manager face to face for applying for jobs. "That is all handled online now Thanks for asking though." So you go online and apply and submit a resume and wait and... nothing not a thank you for applying not a we aren't hiring right now even just... nothing. It feels like your submission spilled out the end of some network/internet cable some where on to a floor where someone, with a job, wiped it up and environmentally appropriately disposed of it. It worries me that I failed to do something correctly and that the application didnt get submitted or something... you just dont know. That feeling creeps up on you after a while. I worry that the longer I say unemployed the less likely it is that I will get rehired. some how I am no-longer current enough on any level to be worth hiring. It feels like you stop knowing things in general... may that is just me.

This must be what actors who are starting out go through at some level.

It really batters your self... well everything, worth, confidence, (and the dreaded) esteem. It batters your image of your self as a man... cant support yourself let alone a family. I think that most men are very tied into what they do for work as who they are as a person. Question; Who are you... Answer, I am an engineer. Possibly that is because lots of men my self included/especially that is all they do... work at what ever it is that they do.

The weird part of all this as I recall from my econ class, decades ago, that the unemployment rate was supposed to be at or about 10%. I don't recall the whys and therefore's but I recall that figure. And as I understand it the unemployment rate is at or about 9 and some percent now.

No comments: